Riverside is a beautiful section of Greenwich, Connecticut. With a population of a roughly 7,200 people and approximately 2,500 households, Riverside is mainly residential with an area of a little over two square miles. It is a wonderful community that offers great schools, a strong sense of family and neighborhood, convenience for commuters, and waterfront beauty on the Mianus River, harbor, and Long Island Sound.
The town of Greenwich consists of several distinct sections or neighborhoods with their own mailing addresses and ZIP codes such as Riverside, Byram, Cos Cob, Glenville, Mianus, Old Greenwich and Greenwich. Riverside's Zip Code is 06878. Riverside is represented in the Town Government by RTM District 5 and District 12.
Riverside has two sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Riverside Avenue Bridge, built in 1894 (listed in 1977) and the Samuel Ferris House, built in about 1760 (listed in 1989).
Riverside's nearby train stations make it a great residence for commuting to New York City.
There are 3 public elementary schools that serve Riverside, including:
International School at Dundee, for ages 3-12 and approximately 345 students.
North Mianus School, built in 1925 with renovations and additions over the years. Almost all of the students live within walking distance.
Riverside School, founded in 1933 and enrolls more than 500 students from kindergarten through fifth grade.
Originally known as Mianus Neck until 1890, Riverside has a long history dating back to the mid-1600s. Riverside was originally a community of farmers, fisherman and oystermen. An article in the Greenwich Review: Special Commemorative Edition Greenwich Celebrates 350 Years gives an in-depth look at the history of Riverside (click on the link below to see the article).
Article reprinted courtesy of Jack M. Moffly at Greenwich Magazine.
Riverside Avenue Bridge:
Riverside Avenue Bridge is the only surviving bridge in Connecticut (and one of only about a dozen in the entire country) that has major structural members made of cast iron. Cast iron was widely used in trusses up until the early 1870s. Because it breaks under tension (bending or stretching forces), cast iron is only suitable for compression members, such as the hollow tubes that make up the top chord and verticals of this bridge. In contrast, wrought iron, which is produced by rolling hot metal under pressure, could be used either in tension or in compression. As the American iron industry matured, wrought iron became more widely available, and after several disasters involving improperly engineered bridges that were part cast-iron, wrought iron totally superceded the earlier material for use in bridges.
Riverside Avenue Bridge incorporates several other archaic features. The form of the bridge is based on a truss shown in Squire Whipple's pioneering Treatise on Bridge building, published in 1847. The Whipple truss, which has diagonal tension members running across two panels, was popular with early engineers. The bridge also illustrates the specialized connections characteristic of early trusses. The cast-iron lower-chord junction boxes and the ribbed blocks through which the diagonal rods pass were two improvements on the Whipple truss patented by engineer Francis C. Lowthorp.
Riverside Avenue Bridge was originally part of a multi-span railroad bridge crossing the Housatonic River. When the New Haven Railroad replaced the bridge in 1888, it salvaged several spans for re-use as highway overpasses. Riverside Avenue Bridge was erected in its present location about 1895. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.